Five things I learned at my 20-year high school reunion (Pinellas Park High School class of 1987):
- Multiple lives. Someone, I think Bob Hicks, said to me, "I don't know about you, but I've lived 3 lifetimes since high school." Amen. I think I've lived 4 or 5. It sure seemed like some people have only lived one.
- Worth going. I really didn't quite want to go. I skipped the ten year reunion for no good reason. It was definately worth going.
- People are interesting. There were a couple of people that I spent more time talking to at the reunion than I probably spent talking to in high school.
- Sports matter. Over the years I only really think about the guys I hung around with outside of school. But I forgot how much time I spent with my football team. If I really added it up, I probably spent as much time with other football players during high school as I did with my "real" friends. I was amazed how many stories I'd forgotten.
- Boys will be boys. Someone got too drunk, peed on the carpet in the hotel, and got chased off by the Clearwater Police Department. "Is this your usual weekend duty," I asked one officer. "Yep. Could be a lot worse."